arnos manor hotel - bristol

Arnos -main

Built on the site of an older property known as Halfway house in 1760 by William Reece a Quaker and wealthy copper smelter, the manor has seen many uses in its lifetime. The stables and servants quarters, which are known today as the Black Castle (across the road), had underground tunnels leading to the main building. In 1850, it was sold to the Roman Catholic Church and nuns established it as a penitentiary before converting it into the first Catholic reform school in England accommodating 200 girls. The building was two thirds destroyed during WWII and the nuns moved out with the girls to safer accommodation. Most of the buildings were neglected by the mid-1900s and a lot of it demolished. In 1965, the main building was turned into a casino, disco and then in 2000 turned into a hotel.

Many spooky reports have been told by guests and staff at this building including a man in a tweed suit smoking a pipe who is seen sitting in the chapel. The smell of pipe smoke can be smelt. A grey lady is seen to wander the corridors and back staircase at the bottom of which a pregnant nun is said to have been bricked up alive in the cupboard. The sounds of a baby crying can be heard. A small boy has been seen running the corridor around the rooms between 279 and 289 as well as room 160, which has had many reports of people feeling pressure on their chests whilst in bed. Some forced to flee in the middle of the night.  Bath taps have been turned on and the baths filled with hot water and apparitions have been seen climbing non-existent staircases. This is an amazing building with a great history and with many spirits that still remain here. Are you brave enough to be alone in the cupboard???? A pregnant nun buried alive in a cupboard, who is the man in tweed smoking a pipe in the chapel room? and a young boy running the corridors are amongst the spirits reported at the hotel.